Now includes a FREE copy of my ebook!
What do you need to know about managing people from different cultures?
Leading a team of people from different countries and cultures can be very interesting, fun and rewarding. But it does require that we develop new skills. I know this from my experience in an international MBA program, where 86% of the students were from other countries. This prompted me to do extensive research on International Human Resource Management, particularly with respect to cross-cultural work teams. I have subsequently written a book on How to Manage Culturally Diverse Work Teams. I apply these techniques in my consulting practice, where I work with diverse teams both in person and virtually.
This course is designed for managers, executive, team leaders and supervisors of people from other cultures (either currently or in the future). You will learn how to understand different perspectives, and how to apply specific tools to improve communication and reduce conflict. And as with all my courses, I use case studies based on real situations to help you develop a deep understanding of how you can apply it in your workplace. By the end of this course, you will be able to:
1) Describe the dimensions of culture
2) Assess how culture affects values, beliefs, perceptions, and ultimately behaviour in the work place.
3) Develop, apply and adapt specific tools and techniques to improve communication and reduce conflict.
While our focus is on intercultural awareness and communication, the techniques you learn here will improve your workplace communication and team leadership skills in general. These interpersonal skills are what distinguish high performing individuals from average leaders. In virtually every industry, people skills are critical!
Here's what you this course will cover:
- In the first sections, you will learn about cultural diversity, the terminology, and how it affects the work place.
- We will then dig deep into the dimensions of culture. While we often focus on the visible cultural aspects, it is the deeper values and beliefs that most influence our interaction. You will learn about the dimensions of culture as a way to recognize and describe these differences.
- From this basis, you can now start to look at your own cultural conditioning (we all have it!). But by becoming aware, you can now choose to respond more effectively. We will work with some case studies to develop your skills.
- We will then explore the communication challenges and potential barriers, and work with some tools and techniques to improve communication between people of different cultures.
- And finally, we will review and put it together - leaving you with a clear understanding of how to apply this knowledge and techniques in your workplace.
You will learn through a series of lectures, quizzes, and most importantly - reflective and analytical exercises, such as case studies. By applying the knowledge through these exercises, you will deepen your understanding and develop practical skills. You will be confident to apply these new skills in your workplace.
This course is designed for supervisors, managers and executive in all types of organizations (private enterprise, not-for-profit, government....). It is a foundation for developing more advanced cross-cultural competencies - such as my upcoming course on Cross Cultural Leadership: Tools and Techniques for Managing High Performing Teams. And while I certainly bring a Canadian perspective, I believe these techniques apply globally.
As we see increasing trends in immigration and international business, cross-cultural competencies will become increasingly more important to enable people from different cultures to work together effectively. This course will position you to be an effective team member and leader in a diverse, dynamic and multicultural workplace.
#cross-culturaltrainingt #diversitytraining #teambuilding #culturalawareness #peoplemanagement
Debbie Narver (BSc MBA MScIB) is an experienced manager, teacher and consultant. She has a passion for helping managers & leaders to develop their full potential. She brings her full range of education, training & knowledge to her coaching and teaching - drawing on practical examples from her own experiences. Located on beautiful Vancouver Island, Canada, Debbie specializes in online facilitation, and works with diverse and geographically dispersed teams and organizations.
Based on her own experiences of transitioning from a technical (science based) background into management, she focuses on helping managers & leaders to develop very practical skills for leading in complex and challenging environments. While doing an MBA developed her skills in advanced business administration, she wants to bring those essential skills to others. But recognizing that not every manager needs or wants an MBA, Debbie strives to bring these complex, often jargon-laden techniques to a broader audience. She uses a lot of examples from the real world, and introduces practical and low-cost tools that can be used in almost any size and type of organization.
Debbie's areas of expertise include Strategic Management and Cross Cultural Leadership. The latter is based on some unique research she conducted during her MBA program, exploring the dynamics of culturally diverse teams. She has carefully designed her portfolio of courses to develop the skills that managers & leaders most need to be successful in a dynamic and challenging work place. She truly enjoys coaching and teaching, and loves to hear from her students!
Contact Debbie at email@example.com
Frequently Asked Questions
We are offering this course for free during our pre-launch! We will be adding additional content and quizzes prior to our official launch. At that time, the course will be priced at $159. So sign up now for free, and you will have access to all the features of our full course as they come online!